Wednesday, November 17, 2010

chapter seven

How long have we been standing here like this? Is that clock right? Has it really only been a second? It feels like forever.
Finally, something snaps us back to life. I gasp for air. I hadn’t been breathing. My head rolls to Jeordio. He’s looking back at me. We let more time pass between us before either of says a word.
“That girl.” Jeordio pauses, thinking of what to say next. To much has happened in a matter of seconds. “She’s the same one who sent this.” He holds up the card. All I can do is stare at his face. I bet I look really stupid here. That or really drunk.
“And there was a letter to, wasn’t there? Let me see it. When did it get here?” He’s holding out his hand for me to put them in, but I don’t move. The letter was written to me. It said to give them their cards, not that they had to read the letter too. I don’t want him to read it. I want to keep it to myself. But just moments ago I was diving for the phone to call him about this very letter. Why am I being such a spoiled little child now? Hell, I don’t even know for sure that this letter is by her and even so she can’t possibly be Sky. Sky would have to be as old as me by now. Maybe a little younger.
I let all this roll round and round in my mind as Jeordio stands there, hand out demanding the letter from me. I look down at his hand then at my hand. It has the letter in it. I can’t lie and say we didn’t get one. He can clearly see it. I still don’t make any move to give it to him.
His eyes are wide with curiosity. He’ll grab the letter out of my hand if he has to. Somehow, he’ll read it. This makes me really worried. But I don’t know why. It’s just a stupid letter.
“Brain?” low and quiet, but I can here the ice in there. He can’t hid it, just like I can’t hid this letter. “Can I see the letter? Com’n. Let me see it.” His eyes are hard and so pure black that they’ve become more like two empty slits in his pale face.
I swallow, hard. “No.”
He blinks.
So do I.
“What did you say?” The ice is even stronger in his voice now.
“I said, no. I don’t want you to see the letter. It’s addressed to me. Not you or any of the others.”
I can’t look up. Jeordio’s my best friend. I’ve never kept anything from him. He moves awkwardly from one foot to the other. He clearly doesn’t like me keeping secrets. I don’t either but it’s not like I’m trying really hard to tell him. It’s just that I won’t. Adults can be self-centered and childish too. And right now, that’s just what I’m doing.


Stepping out into the bright sun-lit world outside of my apartment, I look for my car. It’s the same one I had when I got home last night. It was all just a dream I had. A better dream than most of my day-dreams about Sky.
I still have the letter wrapped in sweat from my palm. Striding over to my car I hear a voice call out my name, “Dimond? Dimond Death?!” I whip around on my heals to face the person who yelled to me.
My eyes feel as thou they might pop right out of their sockets as they grow. I’m staring at her. Belladonna. The girl I was about to go look for. The girl who I just saw on TV. The girl who wrote me this letter that’s melting in the sweat that’s pouring from my hand.
But then I blink.
And she’s gone again.
I climb slowly into my car, wondering who called me if anyone. The engine spits and groans to life. With one finale groan, it pulls away from the curb and speeds down the street on it’s way to find her. On it’s way to find my Sky.
My heart skips a beat at that though. Sky. She’s who I’ve been looking for. The only person I want. The only thing in this world I want. This makes me push the gas petal even harder. I don’t care if I get pulled over. It only takes a few minuets to write out a ticket anyway. So I’ll risk it.
It doesn’t take long for me to get to the studio that she’s in. I’ve been there before. It’s just the matter of getting inside that I haven’t figured out or let alone even thought of till this insist.
I stood there trying to think of what my next move would be. That’s when I see the back door to the studio is propped open just enough for me to sneak in and back out. I smile a crooked smile. I stand straight and head for the door as if this is what I’m suppose to do.
Back stage is just like the last time I was here. That makes it easier to find the dressing rooms. It’s just picking the right one.
I walk down the hall, remembering how Jeordio and the others and I wrecked this place. That was a long time ago and right now I had to focus on where I was going.
“Yes?... What?.... No!... Ha! Ha!” That voice! I whip around to stare at her standing there with someone right next to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment